Sunday, May 1, 2011

Connecting with Romeo & Juliet

I personally, while reading Romeo & Juliet, connect with Romeo the most. He takes things that to most people seem like no big deal, and manages to blow them way out of proportion. I'm not nearly as dramatic about it as he is, but I do have a habit of making things seem worse than they are. Like when Benvolio goes to speak with him and finds out that he is upset about Rosaline not loving him. Romeo seems to be under the impression that his life no longer has meaning without his current one true love, when in reality, he's going to get over it and move on with his life.

Reading the play on my own hasn't been too difficult. I love reading Shakespeare and it mostly makes sense to me. I really enjoy reading his work because it's so poetic and fluid. And it also helps having it read aloud in class, because I feel like it's easier to understand when you're hearing it and not just reading it. It also makes a big difference that before we started reading, I watched the play with my step dad who explained a lot of it for me (he has taken many classes on Shakespeare's writing and has a very strong understanding of it). I think that it's safe to say that Romeo & Juliet has been my favorite reading assignment so far this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment